Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Few Random Notes

1. How fortunate am I to get crab for school lunch? I'm not talking fake crab, or even little chunks of real crab. I'm talking halves of legit crabs--and I am free to take as much as I'd like. Try serving crab for school lunch back home and see what kind of reaction that gets.

2. The following data has all been collected at random: Over the months, when I think about it, I take a moment during class to count how many of my 34 (first grade) or 37 (second grade) students wear glasses. Without fail thus far, there have been no fewer than 20 students in each class who wear glasses. Today 24 out of 34 students in one of my classes were wearing glasses. Are Koreans' eye sight that terrible?

*(On a mostly unrelated note, but interesting--at least to me--nonetheless, when I asked my kids what they knew about Mongolia, they all had the same answer, hands down: "good eye sight!"; or, rather, something closer to "good see!" or "good eye!" Hmm, I had no idea.)

3. This morning, in my extra conversation class that I teach before school actually starts (yes, I DESPISE having to teach earlier in the morning and BEFORE my actual teaching begins for the day), I had the students play Beer Pong. Okay, we didn't actually use beer, or any other liquid for that matter. BUT, I used the same concept and had a number written on the bottom of the cups with a corresponding action for the students to do should the ping-pong ball land in that cup. My favorite, thanks to my high-school soccer coach, is always "star jumps." Naturally, I make the kids actually say "I'm a star!" with each star jump they do :)

4. It's a pretty amazing feeling to be able to feel so happy with my life on a daily basis. Even on the bad days, there is always something in my life here that makes me smile and explicitly think to myself "Life is good" and "I'm where I'm supposed to be right now." It's only 12:45pm Wednesday afternoon, and I've already had this happen twice to me today.

God, life is good.

Make that three ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment