Thursday, November 18, 2010

Endless Kindness

For the past two or three months, I have sporadically been giving English lessons to my vice principal one or two afternoons a week when I have a free period. I really don't know what I'm doing, teaching English to an adult one-on-one with a fairly basic level of English. She is obviously an intelligent woman and has no problem reading or writing; it's the speaking that is the problem (just like most Koreans and just like most anybody learning a new language). I feel really bad about not having a clue of how to teach her, but she's a very kind woman and I think we have a decent time just having conversations.

Anyways, my point here was to write about yet ANOTHER example of the extent of kindness that happens so often in Korean culture.

This afternoon, after having had to cancel our afternoon class, she came up to me and said "Stephanie, when you go rock climbing this weekend, eat this." As she handed me a huge box of something--I can't tell what it is just yet. Some kind of "bisuit" is what she said.

I need to start bringing her some little presents...

My vice principal is obviously well-liked by teachers here at school (unlike the former vice principal and current principal). She's kind and open and is willing to joke around and laugh with teachers. It's evident that she respects teachers and teachers respect her. This certainly makes life easier on everyone... And, as usual, I feel very lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment