Sunday, May 6, 2012


I love my class. Honestly, I do. I've loved them from the beginning, but I love them more and more by the week and I don't know how I'm going to say goodbye to them in five weeks. I have 17 students in my class; four boys and thirteen girls. Most of them are freshman or sophomores, and they come from all majors--agriculture, international trade, law, computer sciences, linguistics (and German), information statistics, biology, geography education, food nutrition, physical sciences education, architecture and management information systems. Our class dynamics just work--the shy balanced with the outgoing, the higher level with the lower. I don't know how I'm going to start next semester with an entirely new group! Last Friday a few other teachers and myself joined forces first period and took our three classes outdoors to play a game that might be described best as a variation of human netball (it was each team against the other two and each team had to throw the ball into their own basket, held up by a team member standing on a chair). They loved it--and it was the perfect beginning of the end to a week where our lessons revolved around health and fitness. When I came back to my class third period three of my students were missing and I was informed that they'd gone to the on-campus convenience store to buy snacks for an impromptu party. They returned with a bag of ice creams for all and about ten bags of various chips and other crunchy snacks (so much for the previous day's discussion about healthy living!). So we passed around the ice cream, opened it up and my students said "Okay teacher. Study time." So, we studied for a bit doing some listening comprehension exercises. After those were complete we opened all the snacks, had a little chat time, and then again they said "Okay, time for study." So, the 50 minutes continued on just so. Eat, talk, study. Eat, talk, study. It's no wonder I couldn't resist buying cans of A&W Root Beer when I was in Seoul this past weekend so I could make my class root beer floats! I can't wait to spoil them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment