Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Gift from China and Mongolia


It's yellow dust season in Korea, which only means one thing (okay, two things): throat irritation and beautiful spring weather! If you can't fathom what "yellow dust season" looks like in Korea, I'll try to post a picture soon. But in the meantime, see here and picture a layer of, well, fine yellow dust all over cars, windows and other flat surfaces. After any rain that falls there's a nice outline of the stuff, about the color of a yellow Post-It note, where puddles once were or where water gathered around the edges of the sidewalks and roads. This morning I had to wipe off a layer from my bicycle seat so I didn't have a yellow bum! The days have been rotating between cloudy, grey, gloomy, rainy and depressing days and bright, happy, sunny, warm and inspiring days. There really has been no middle ground. And today has been one of those inspiring days. My friend (who lives on the opposite end of town) and I met halfway on the riverside bike path for a little picnic of cheese, crackers, homemade granola bars, peanut butter sandwiches, fruit and veggies and then sat out to enjoy the sunshine by the river. It was glorious! The entire ride to meet my friend I was so happy; it was one of those moments in my life where everything just seemed right. And, I had a good, out-loud chuckle to myself when I cycled past what I've decided to be one of my favorite things about Korea: an old man driving a mini tractor or three-wheeler of sorts, pulling an old woman on the cart behind him. Usually you'd see this when you're out in the countryside and it's still an amusing sight--it just happened to be extra amusing in a city setting along a riverside bike path! And, it's much entertaining in person--trust me! May the beautiful weather and cheerful dispositions continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment