Thursday, May 27, 2010

This Drum Was Meant to Be

Yesterday I bought a djembe (African drum) from a foreigner who's moving back to the States. It was hand carried to Korea from Africa, and it's beautiful.

I've never played an instrument in my life, save my bright orange recorder that was part of my elementary school curriculum (Hot Cross Buns, anybody?). But, it's on my list of things to do in my life, so I figured this would be a fun instrument to start out with.

After my purchse (which happened on the university campus in Jinju), I met a friend and we sat on the top level of seating at an outdoor stage. The sun was setting and it was a beautiful evening. There also happened to be about 20-30 university students playing various types of drums on the lawn nearby. We were surrounded by them, as they were broken up into a few different groups, their drumming sounds echoing off buildings and coming from every direction.

I smiled to myself thinking "This drum was meant to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment