Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Rubik's Cube Craze

In the past few weeks I've noticed a dramatic influx of Rubik's Cubes floating around the hallways of my school, primarily in the hands of first-grade students. Kids will sit through an entire class fiddling with these colorful cubes if you let them. Some of them even spend their lunch hour sitting next to their friends, frantically twisting and turning, twisting and turning. I only wish I could muster up enough focus on one activity...

As I ponder this mysterious increase in cubes around school, I am reminded of a Baduk academy (the game of Go, to us) that I walk past everyday on my way home from school. I oftentimes look through the doorway as I walk by to see the handful of youngsters--most of them appear to be under the age of eight--peering down at the game board, contemplating their next move. I honestly can't imagine too many five or six-year olds in the U.S. with enough patience and discipline to not just toss the board in the air, watching the mini black and white game pieces scattering everywhere. Imagine the joy in that to a six-year old kid...

I suppose this is related on some level or another, or perhaps not, but it's my perception that in Korea, children are strapped into backpacks holding books and pencils and protracters and erasers from the time they can walk. Seriously. I see children here that can't possibily be older than three with Hello Kitty or Piccachu backpacks on ALL THE TIME. I'm positive these kids are only heading to pre-school...

No comments:

Post a Comment