Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Joys of Working in an All Boy's Middle School 3

As I walked off school grounds today to head home, I heard the sound of rushed footsteps following after me. Just as I turned around I heard a "Hello" come out of the mouth of a third grade student at my school. I don't teach the third graders (U.S. equivalent of being in 9th grade), so I rarely interact with them except for in the hallways between classes, when they like to say "Hello Ste-fa-nee" and then giggle with their friends after we pass by one another.

But this kid seriously wanted to talk! He asked me where I was going (a standard first question that comes out people's mouths over here). We exchanged a few more pieces of information before he suddenly blurted out to me "My life is not good." I asked him to elaborate, but he couldn't find the words in English. He did say, however, that he was trying to change his life. I also learned that last winter he went to Japan--by himself--and this summer he'll be going to Canada, also by himself. What a brave young man. I told him to come by my desk sometime so we could talk. I hope he does. He really moved me today and I want to know him better.

No comments:

Post a Comment