Monday, April 26, 2010

Tragedy Hits Home--In Korea

On March 26, a South Korean navy ship mysteriously sank near the border with North Korea. Now, a month later, most South Koreans speculate that this was a tragedy caused by the North Koreans, but the government has yet to confirm these speculations. The latest I have read is that the explosion was due to a "close-range blast" that could have been from a torpedo or underwater mine.

A coworker of mine has, on several occasions, expressed his concerns that the two countries will have to go to war, as South Korea has no choice but to take revenge on its 'enemy'. A student told me the same thing a week ago. I'm not sure that I see that happening, given the long history and ongoing tensions between the two countries that has created a constant threat of war, but what do I know?

Today in the teacher's office a small black ribbon was handed out for each teacher to wear until Thursday as part of a national five-day period of mourning for the 46 sailors who lost their lives on the ship (and the six who remain missing). That same coworker made sure I got a ribbon also (since I was skipped the first time around, the woman probably assuming that as a foreigner it wasn't necessary). Tomorrow there will be a national moment of silence and Thursday will hold a mass funeral for the sailors. South Koreans are extremely disturbed by what happened and very sad for their loss.

Indirectly related, yesterday I watched a Korean movie with two friends about the Korean War called Taegukgi (in Korea they have what is called a DVD Bang, or DVD room, where you can pick out a movie and watch it on big screen in your own room with a couch). I was reminded of many other war movies I've seen in the past, but it felt really special to watch a Korean-made movie about the war while living in Korea--despite the grotesqueness and sadness of it all.

Korea's history is fascinating and I wish I knew more. Admittedly, I haven't taken the time to really learn anything beyond the very basics of Korean history, but it is evident to me that Koreans still hold on very tightly to their past.

I suppose being such a small country who has continuously been battered and beaten by larger, more powerful societies might do that to a people...

No comments:

Post a Comment