Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Stuck in the Oncoming of Spring

With the exception of higher than average rainfall and lower than average temperature, spring is here. True, it has not yet been the most glamorous of springs I have ever experienced and we are constantly teased by one or two nice days followed by another 10 days of clouds and cold rain, but most of the tell-tale signs are still present.

The cherry blossoms have mostly come and gone now, but other colors continue to pop out in random corners of Jinju. Azaleas are omnipresent here, it seems, as are the forsythia (which remind me of driving over the Chambers overpass back home). I swear I've begun to hear more birds chirping; but even if that's not the case, I have witnessed birds mating so that's got to count for something, right? And, one of my favorites is the large crop of bright yellow canola flowers that line the river for a few hundred meters. I've watched these flowers go from a two-inch high boring and mysterious green plant to a hip-height and vibrant colored field of flowers that seems to be full of life these days. Everytime I pass by them along the river, there are several families, young couples and a few serious looking photographers taking pictures of and with the flowers. I have seen so many toddlers be thrown in the middle of these friendly yellow flowers at the discretion of their parents, who are hoping for one of those adorable and cliche children-in-the-flowers shots.

Although color is starting to emerge in this otherwise drab city (aside from the neon lights and colored fountain at night, of course), the trees seem slow to sprout leaves and I am feeling anxious for green. When the green finally does come, however, I have no doubt that Korea's natural beauty will be stunning. Hiking in the moountains right now is great, but everything is brown. And this can only mean that when there are finally leaves on the trees everything will be a bright and shiny green!

The oncoming of spring has been slow. I feel like we've been on the verge of this delightful season for quite some time. BUT, I have tried to take advantage of the few nice days and I still have that increased energy and desire to do things, unlike the winter. Arriving to Korea at the beginning of winter gave me a slow start to "doing things" here in Jinju and around Korea. The cold temperatures felt at times unbearable, and after coming home after school the last thing I'd every want to do was leave my warm, cozy apartment and head back out into the cold. Brrrr.

But now, it's different.

Often times people will ask me what I do on my weeknights here, what my life is like outside of teaching over 700 crazy, hormonal young boys. Sometimes I stay home, watch a movie or some television series online (thank goodness for the internet). Sometimes I work (ugh, I know). But lately, I've been allowing myself a life. A small group of friends and I have been alternating weeks in which we'll host and cook a meal for one another. I decided to play host on my birthday--what better way to celebrate than with good people? I have spent a handful of evenings riding my bike along the river path, sometimes ending up at a friends place and other times ending up at the lake. God life is good.

This past week has been a solid week. Monday I enjoyed my favorite soup (mandu guk, or dumpling soup) with friends. Tuesday I went for a run with three other young women living in Jinju (it was our first official meeting for our newly founded "Women's Running Club of Jinju", haha). Wednesday I hit up the indoor rock climbing gym with a group of six others. Tonight I'm going to enjoy some home-cooked food, wine and a movie with my two Kiwi buddies (they fulfill my desire for a little testosterone in my life from time to time, being the tomboy that I am). And finally, Friday night is the opening show of the Vagina Monologues that a bunch of foreign teachers in and around Jinju have been working hard on for the past few months--with an after party of sorts, naturally.

Ta-dah! There goes the week and it's the weekend. Keeping busy in the evenings gets me through the week and I feel so grateful to have such wonderful friends and opportunities.

Now, it's time to wash out my coffee cup and head home for the day. I've got a date this evening with some good wine, good food and good company.

I PROMISE I WILL POST MORE PICTURES SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment