Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The True Legend Lives On... In Korea

This one's dedicated to a handful of people who know me well enough or have known me long enough to be in the loop of my "big head" jokes. In other words, you've probably cracked a joke or two in the time we've known each other and given me shit for having a large head--even if you didn't really mean it (yes, I do have trouble finding non-adjustable or non-elastic hats that will actually fit on my head).

But mostly, this post is kindly dedicated to my loving father... and next to Julie, my sister from another mother (with a smaller head).

During my first week at school, while introducing myself to classrooms full of 14-year old boys with short black hair, black glasses and black jackets, I received the following comment from one student (translated by my Korean co-teacher): "You have big forehead." As if I didn't already know...

It only got better when the kid sitting next to him followed up with "Yes. Very shiny." I'm not sure which is worse...

I then kindly informed the boys that my big head could fit a bigger brain. I don't think they got it. Language and cultural barriers are a harsh reality when making an attempt at humor--particularly sarcastic humor.

A few days later my confidence was slightly regained when, in a class with a different co-teacher, I was informed that one of the students had just told my female co-teacher that her head was larger than mine. Her response? "I'm Asian." And that was that.

Lucky for me there are Asians... I guess?

No comments:

Post a Comment