Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sleepless in Seoul...

It's 4:14am in Korea right now and I am wide awake. I arrived last night--well, 7pm Sunday evening Korean time--to the Incheon International Airport, which is about an hour from Seoul. Thankfully, I have a long enough layover to where it was arranged that I be brought to a motel for the night. Nothing like a bed to sleep in and a hot shower before I arrive to my final destination, especially after 12+ hours on a plane! (I did, however, get to enjoy three movies, a glass of wine, and two meals during the flight, which helped pass the time).

Having traveled to Japan before and being quite heavily exposed to Japanese culture for several years growing up, I recognize Asian when I see it. (Somewhat unrelated, but still interesting, in Japan my host family's toilet had some strange contraption on top of the tank which, every time one would flush, music would play and a few tiny mechanical butterflies would flap their wings). On my flight from Seattle to Korea, classical music was played for all to enjoy as we boarded the plane, as well as the first and last 15-ish minutes of the flight. As I walked down the isle to my seat, I was greeted by at least four young female Asian flight attendants, flashing sweet smiles as they politely bowed and welcomed every single passenger on board. Bouquets of fake pink flowers decorated the wall of the bathroom 'station' in the middle of the plane. A short cartoon video appeared on each of our individual screens at the beginning of the flight that ended with the words "Beautiful manners make you smile" on the screen. While waiting in line to go through Immigration and Customs, I noticed that there were three sets of eyeglasses on a small table for anyone to utilize, each of course properly labeled and each on a small chain so nobody could run away with them. Not to mention all the neon lights, small cars, heated floors and other such conveniences in my motel room as every possible toiletry item, shower slippers, and bath towels the size of hand towels!

I do not dare say that Korea is just like Japan, lest I offend anyone because chances are I would, but oh how I am reminded of being in Japan right now.

Well, I've now successfully wasted 45 minutes and I think it's time to take a shower and find my way to the subway station so I can get back to the airport for my 8:20am flight to Busan. I will be met at the airport there by my recruiter and taken to Jinju, my home for the next year. Then, tomorrow, the craziness begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment