Monday, December 14, 2009

Pay it Forward

I love being reminded that there are still countless numbers of good people in the world.

I was only in Korea for about 12 hours before I had my first mishap. From my motel yesterday morning I was to catch the subway back to the airport for my final flight. Having been awake since 3:30am, I got the show on the road early and headed out before 6am for my 8:20 flight. I suppose since I never had any problems using my credit or debit cards while in Central America and Mexico, I assumed the same would be true for Korea. Wrong. How naive of me...

I had forgotten to get some Korean cash (Won) at the airport the night before. I walked into the subway station hoping to either find an ATM or be able to use a credit card to buy my ticket. Wrong again. The man working at the information booth spoke about two words of English, and was simultaneously not interested in helping me out. He did, however, tell me to try the 7-11 for an ATM.

Apparently ATMs in Korea do not take American cards like they do in Guatemala. I had no luck getting any cash, but I did successfully navigate this ATM that was entirely in Korean (but let's be honest here, all ATMs ultimately do the same thing so I just used common sense and pretended I was using one from back home to make guesses of which selections to make). Again unsure of how I was going to get cash to buy my ticket, and beginning to feel a slight sense of panic set in, I tried pleading with the young male behind the counter. He, too, spoke about two words of English, but we were able to communicate enough that he understood I did not have the cash I needed to get myself on the subway to the airport. I tried asking him if it was possible to give me cash back if I made a purchase. He just swiped my card and charged it the $.50 or so for a pack of gum. I don't think he got it. I tried to ask a customer if I could purchase his drinks for him on my credit card, which totaled more than twice the cash I needed, and then he could just give me the 1,500 Won (a little over the equivalent of US $1). They didn't get it and instead acted annoyed that I was trying to interfere with their transaction.

The young 7-11 employee, probably around 18-20 years old, made a few phone calls in the middle of all this. I had no idea who he was calling or why, but I knew he was genuinely trying to help me. And he told me to wait, so I knew he was up to something that would be of my benefit. I just let him do his thing, and asked every new customer who walked in if they knew English. They all just shook their head and turned away.

Then, finally, only moments after I could not hold in the tears and began wandering around the store to distract myself from the increasingly overwhelming sense of panic and anxiety, a college-aged guy walked in who knew some English and was willing to talk to me. He told me that the clerk got off work at 7am (it was about 6:40 at this point), and that he would then take me to the subway station AND all the way to the airport. I immediately turned to thank the store clerk, letting him know that I FINALLY understood what he was trying to tell me; he probably thought I was an idiot!

This poor, kind young man took me to the subway, bought tickets for both of us, rode with me to the airport, walked inside with me and found me an airport employee who spoke English and could tell me where to go. Then, he had to buy himself another subway ticket to go back wherever he needed to go. I wanted to give this guy a HUGE hug I was so relieved and thankful! I asked him if I could have his address, thinking I would send a card and small token of appreciation, including his money back, but when I asked he quickly put his hands up in front of him and said "no, no, no." I hope he didn't think I was trying to hit on him...

And the funny thing? While we were on the subway, he asked me where I was from and told me he liked Metallica. WHAT?! Where was all this English when I needed it earlier???

I guess that's all the more reason for me to try to convince these boys to actually try to learn what I am teaching them for the next year--so they can learn more than how to say "I like Metallica." (Not that I think anybody should have to learn English--but they might as well take advantage of the opportunity while it's there!).

Anyhow, it's nice to be reminded of the existence of good people in the world. AND, it's all the more incentive to pass on the good deeds of this young 7-11 clerk to somebody else in need--to pay it forward, so to speak.

Well, this morning I slept all the way until 4:30am. Hopefully tomorrow I can make it to 5:30am... Today on the agenda: a 10:00am meeting with my co-teacher at the Education Office and then I get to see my apartment.

Let the journey continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment