Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Small Things

The notion that it's the "small things" in life that make the biggest difference is one that I am often reminded of here in Korea. I can't begin to express just how many times I've stopped and thought to myself "I love my life" for a reason triggered by something as minute as an amazing bowl of galbi-tang (Korean soup), the smile of a student, or the smell of fresh air as I stand atop a nearby mountain under the blue skies, looking out over this beautiful land.

Well, this past weekend, that moment came at the sight of a squirrel. "Ah! Squirrel!" I yelped, excitedly and literally jumping up and down, grabbing my friend and making him look.

This wasn't just any squirrel. This was the second--yes, SECOND--squirrel I've seen while living in Korea. Korea's not known for it's abundance of wildlife. In fact, my first few months in Korea, the only wildlife I saw was magpies and white cranes. Then, after going on a hike in the mountains, I was relieved to see chipmunks. Birds and chipmunks. That's all we get here, so when I see a squirrel, it's a big deal.

Coming from where I do, and having spent two years on the campus of Miami University, which probably ranks number one for population density of squirrels on campus out of all universities in the U.S., one might think I'm a little crazy for getting so excited at the sight of a squirrel. But let me tell you, after one year of living in Korea, seeing a squirrel IS a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment