Monday, December 6, 2010

On War

I've been meaning to write about what happened recently with North Korea and the general attitude and vibe here in the South, as a handful of people have asked me about it... But, an extensive post will have to wait.

In the meantime, I will say that South Koreans, in general, don't have a lot of fear in them about any impending war with North Korea. True, they are outraged and disturbed by the attack on the South Korean island that happened recently, and so soon after the sinking of one of South Korea's ships. However, one must remember that the war between North and South never officially ended, making it such that the two countries have technically been at war for over 50 years.

These little exchanges aren't a novel experience for Koreans. And living here, I've chosen to follow the attitude of the people around me. If they're not worried, than nor am I. HOWEVER, the recent attacks this year have instilled the belief that should the North attack again, war is inevitable, and will eventually result in the unification of North and South (which is what most Koreans want, anyhow).

Certainly, I don't wish for war. But, it has been very interesting living in a country in such a position...

The moral of the story is that there aren't things to be scared of here. Yes, North Korea is a threat. Yes, an attack is more than possible. But, media is media and will hype up anything. I will let you know if or when there is ever something to be scared of. Until then, I'll keep on loving life in Korea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment